WARNING! The following post is not related to travelling with your dog or living the dog lifestyle. Rather, it's an opportunity for us to brag about how proud we are of our human mum.
13 weeks ago our human mum, the human behind Alongtail set a goal for herself - write, publish and promote 7 blog posts in 13 weeks. Today she achieved that goal and we could not be prouder of her.
You might say, "7 posts in 13 weeks that's easy, I could do that with one paw tied behind my back." Well, when you've got the two of us to look after, our baby sister, and you're husband's business there isn't much time to sit down and write. Plus, writing doesn't happen instantly. Sometimes the mood needs to suit in order to put pen to paper or in this day and age fingers to keyboard.
To incentivise our human to meet her goal, she chose a reward if she accomplished her goal. What is the reward? New beds for us? No. New toys for us? No. New bones for us? No. Instead, our human decided to reward herself with a piece of jewellery. Hmphhh. Maybe the next time we'll get the reward. I guess we actually have to set our own 13 week goals to earn rewards.
We all learned a few things in this exercise which we share below.
Jackman and I learned. . .
- ...our human likes to take lots of photos of us.
- ...if it weren't for us our human would have little to write about.
- ...we would prefer that her writing time was playing time with us.
- ...the more our human writes the more adventures we get to go on.
Our human learned. . .
- ...when you focus your mind on a goal, anything is possible.
- ...writing is a muscle that needs to be exercised.
- ...writing for herself eases the pressure of building her tribe.
- ...her relationship and experiences with me and Jackman is something worth sharing with others.
- ...it's scary to put herself out in the big wide world of the internet, but feeling scared means she's alive.
What helped our human achieve her goal?
- Adapted the 13 week goal template from Best Self to suit her.
- Broke the goal down into achievable, daily and weekly tasks.
- She was realistic with what she would be able to achieve over the 13 week period.
- Our human was to determined to prove to herself that Alongtail is her and our future.
- By sharing her goal with others she made herself accountable not only to herself, but to those supporting her.
Now that our human has achieved her goal is she going to stop writing? No! Her intention is to continue to share her thoughts every fortnight and play with us more (hee, hee, we snuck that last bit in). The list of blog posts for Alongtail gets longer every day, so she won't run out of material anytime soon. If there's something you would like us to write about comment below and we'll see how we can fit it in.
Wondering what our human's next 13 week goal is? Well, Alongtail wants to find and feature 7 of the ultimate dog friendly accommodations anywhere in the world. If you think you know of a place or have stayed somewhere that we need to check out please leave a comment. In the meantime, Jackman and I will think about what our 13 week goals will be. I suspect treats, toys and sleep will be involved.